22 Dec 2010

Han-nah-a-haq-sah

...these syllables infiltrated the chambers of my mind one day while walking to the car park after work. They echoed there for the following 9 days, incessantly.

So I became obsessed with finding out what, if anything, they meant.  I searched for their meaning for years.


On my trip to Egypt, I met Basaam, an Egyptologist from the Cairo Museum.  He was surprised, asked how I knew that, where I got it from - Explaining that the phrase "just came to me" was a challenge.

This is their meaning:

Lady of Heaven,
creatress,
the Great Mother,
she who knows the words of power;
You, the container of the Holy Blood of Isis,
the wise blood, the spirit of intelligence
You render me immortal.
Maat at Hat-shep-sut's temple, Deir el-Bahri



...a few short syllables, yet so much meaning...
.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing how "meaningless" sounds were actually very meaningful

    ReplyDelete
  2. It stunned me, actually.

    Having now researched ancient Egyptian culture and writings for over a decade, I relise how different their concept and communication of the perceived reality was.

    Ancient Egyptians were very economical with their words, yet the richness of the language is staggering.

    You can take multiple translations of one of their texts and seemingly, they will all appear different, yet the essence will have been preserved by each translation.

    I don't think that is possible with modern languages.

    Mind boggles

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...