13 Oct 2007

The chapter of a Buckle of Carnelian

Papyrus of Ani: Chapter CLVI


The Ptolemaic geocentric model of the Universe according to the Portuguese cosmographer and cartographer Bartolomeu Velho (Bibliothèque Nationale de France, Paris).

At the end of the universe is a blood red cord that ties life to death, man to woman, will to destiny. Let the knot of that red sash, which cradles the hips of the goddess, bind in me the ends of life and dream. I am an old woman with more than my share of hopes and misgivings. Let my thoughts lie together in peace.

At my death let the bubbles of blood on my lips taste as sweet as berries. Give me not words of consolation. Give me magic, the fire of one beyond the borders of enchantment. Give me the spell of living well.

Do I lie on the floor of my house or within the temple? Is that hand that soothes me that of man or priestess? I rise and walk. The sky arcs ever around; the world spreads itself beneath my feet.

We are bound mind to Mind, heart to Heart -- no difference rises between the shadow of my footsteps and the will of god. I walk in harmony, heaven in one hand, earth in the other. I am the knot where the two worlds meet. Red magic curses through me like the blood of Isis, magic of magic, spirit of spirit.

I am proof of the power of god. I am water and dust walking.


From 'Awakening Osiri' from Papyrus of Ani, also known as 'The Spells of Coming Forth by Light' translated by Normandy Ellis (1988)

[Traditional translation of 'The Egyptian Book of the Dead' by E. A. Wallis Budge]

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...